Quick title translation: It's all new, but it's all good!
Hola!!
After traveling for only 20 hours, 47 minutes and 5893 miles (according to my flight details), I have arrived in Buenos Aires, Argentina! Although Monday started off a little shaky when the airline attendant informed me of the chance that I could be denied access into the country since I didn't have proof of ongoing travel, all turned out well. (It might have been all those Hail Marys and my mental repetitions of the phrase, "I will be let in without problems, or I will scream and kick and bite until they give in." Just kidding, but the uncertainty did keep my mind occupied during for the near 21 hours of travel. Once arriving in Buenos Aires, the driver for my first program, L.I.F.E., picked me up at the airport. On the way to my new residence my alarm from the previous morning went off and notified me of my 24 hours of being in a semi-awake state. Needless to say, I was exhausted and a bit delirious but very happy to be on land. I arrived at my new place at about 5:30am local time, which is 2 hours ahead of Central Time (3:30am), and was greeted by my host mother, Gladys. After sending a quick email to my parents informing them of my safe arrival, I went to sleep in my new bed and was out for a good 8 hours, thank goodness!
My new place is an apartment right in the city. I live on floor lucky #7. I have my own bedroom with a single bed, desk, and bathroom. The floor of the bathroom doubles as the floor of the shower, but the water is hot, so no complaints here. I have WI-FI right in the apartment and a beautiful city view from the deck. I live right across the street from a book store and very close to restaurants and shops galore.
After my much needed nap, I ventured out to find the office of my first volunteering program. I live only 9 blocks from the office and will thereby walk there each day. As today is the first day of primavera (spring), the days are growing longer and I will always be walking in the light to and from the program each afternoon. At 4:30 today I will go to orientation and find out what I'll be doing for the next month! I'm so very happy to finally be here!
My host family is made up of a mother, father, grandmother, son, daughter, and daughter-in-law. Last night just so happened to be the daughter-in-law's 30th birthday, so I got to join in on the celebration. My host mother, being a typical Latin American woman, thought I ate like and bird and thereby served me helping after helping of potatoes, salad and MEAT. I wasn't about to deny her cooking or let her think I was birdlike, so, no kidding, I bet I had over 2 pounds of pork, chicken, and beef without trimming any of the fat. Thank goodness it was delicious, but wow was I full!
Well, I'm off to do some exploring before orientation! Thanks for reading!
Abrazos (hugs)
wendy
Sounds like you're already having a great time, and landing safely is always a plus. Whats this L.I.F.E. program about?
ReplyDelete