Thursday, October 6, 2011

I can hardly believe it! TOMS shoe drop!

Hola!

Have you ever heard of the company TOMS that gives away a pair of shoes for every pair purchased? Well, that company carries out what are called "shoe drops" where they give out TOMS (canvas shoes) to needy children all over the world. It's a pretty big deal. The other day one of the interns at LIFE informed us of a day trip to the veisha for 40 pesos (about $10) that included a taco lunch, playtime with the children, and the distribution of shoes. TOMS shoe drops was of course the first thought to cross my mind, but never in a million years did I actually think that we would in fact be giving out TOMS shoes at an official shoe drop! If you can't tell, I was suuuuper psyched! As I said, the day included a taco lunch free to the kids and their parents put on by a local Buenos Aires restaurant and lots of playtime. We hung LIFE posters and balloons, blocked off a part of the street, and got to playing. The craft of the day was finger painting. The canvases of the finger painting were empty Corona bottles from the taco restaurant. Very resourceful. After lunch and playing the shoe drop began and every child got fitted for a new pair of shoes. So awesome! I forgot my camera... lame, but some other volunteers got pictures that I hope to steal soon!

Other than that, all is good. Just settling into wander mode and learning new things each day.

Short and more frequent blog posts to come!

Abrazos!

wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment